Xclusive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Xclusive

Competive community. Located in the Xclusive channel of Pokemon online.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favourite lure

Go down 
+2
Kyrios
123Fakestreet
6 posters
AuthorMessage
123Fakestreet
Title: Level 1 Weedle
123Fakestreet

Kanto Gyms : Kanto Gyms
Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge
Elite Four : Elite Four
Lost to the Elite Four Lost to the Elite Four Lost to the Elite Four Lost to the Elite Four Remove Crown
Tournaments : Orange League
Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Trophy Remove Ribbon

Your favourite lure Empty
PostSubject: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeMay 20th 2012, 12:05 pm

Ok then, I decided to make this on a much smaller scale than I had originally planned.

A lure, as I'm sure most, if not all, of you know, is a pokemon that has been designed to bait in a certain offensive or defencive threat and kill / cripple it with an unexpected attack. These pokemon usually try to bluff a more common set by using expert belts which imitate choice items or just leftovers when imitating walls / defencive sets. These pokemon can be key to a teams success as they take down things that a team would otherwise have trouble with.

Back in 4th gen, a lure was quite a common thing to find on a team, the most common being Jirachi and Tyranitar, these were chosen for their excelent ability to feign other more popular sets such as scarf or specially defencive and quickly dispatch the opponents counter with an unexpected fire blast, ice beam, thunderbolt or energy ball.

Now in gen 5 we have another lure pokemon, though it is far less common. I am ofcourse, talking about mew. As mew has access to every TM in the game it has phenominal coverage, being able to hit so many things for surprise super effective damage. Mews possibilities are endless thanks to his rediculous movepool and well balanced stats.

The lure I have had the most success with is ofcourse, Jirachi.

Your favourite lure 385

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

You may already know this set from Shakeitup and his team 'Arcana Force' but as I adopted the team and made a few changes, I also changed his EV spread and IVs just a tiny bit which optimised his offense.

Iron Head: This move is probably the most common move Jirachi is seen with, its purpose here is less to flinch the opponents to death and more to make him look like he is carrying the standard moveset of a scarf Jirachi, or even that he is scarfed. It does however also have uses in flinching the opponents defencive walls into KO range of a Thunderbolt or HP [Ice]. It can even do the same to none scarfed rotom.

Thunderbolt: Thunderbolt is probably the most important move on this set, it does around 78-84% to standard defencive skarmory meaning that after SR and one iron head I can usually take it out cleanly without it doing anything to my team. Thunderbolt can also be used as to take down Vaporeon, Politoed, Tentacruel and Jellicent, however it does not do over half to any of these. It can get a surprise kill if the opponent tries to burn me assuming I am physical or predicts a switch assuming I am locked into iron head.

Hidden Power [Ice]: Two Words; Gliscor, Dragonite. That is the main purpose of hidden power ice. To kill those two pesky buggers before they can do anything to me. It can also be used to take down weakened Hippowdon and Donphan. In tandem with shuca berry, Hideen power also means it can take down an earthquaking landorus assuming I have a high amount of HP and my shuca berry.

Fire Punch: Scizor, what more do I have to say? I can use it to dent or kill a weakened ferrothorn aswell. Serves little to no purpose other than these two pokes and maybe the odd Forretress.

EVs: The EVs and Nature given allow for maximum special attack; meaning I can do maximum damage to scarmory and other things that thunderbolt hits super effectively. 216 Speed is enough to outspeed standard SD gliscor by one point and thus immediately kill it on switchin or revenge kill it after I have broken its sub. If shuca berry is intact I can even revenge kill it while it has a sub up if it hasn't gotten a swords dance. The rest is put into attack to bump up the damage of Iron Head and Fire Punch.

Now, my question to you. What is your favourite lure to use in competitive pokemon? Please include a brief description of your lure and how it is used. It doesn't need to be as detailed as mine.
Back to top Go down
Kyrios

Kyrios

Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge
Lost to the Elite Four Lost to the Elite Four Lost to the Elite Four Lost to the Elite Four Remove Crown

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2012, 1:12 pm

[OU] Lure Latios

Latios @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ground] (or [Fighting])
- Draco Meteor
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock

Inspired by TheFlamingSpade on YouTubez.

I run this on rain teams, feigning a scarf lead. Instead of the standard Surf, I run Energy Ball. This is usually left until late game, as a surprise, and hits certain targets like Gastrodon well. Expert Belt to keep the damage output reasonable, and Psyshock to hit special walls that try to switch in on me. Draco Meteor is revealed asap, and then I switch out to give the impression of a Choice item, to lure Steel-Types, and as this is on rain teams, I use HP Ground instead of Fire. Bug-Types are also a problem, especially Scizor so I make sure they are out of the situation before I go in with Lure Latios in confidence, keeping the prediction-pants on (reference anyone?) to avoid pursuit.

Max Speed and Max Special Attack because I learned nothing from Smogon articles, and still don't know about EVs that much. No dmgcalcs, sorry.

Please note that this is more of a surprise hit and run set, rather than one that could stay in and demolish teams. For late-game, it is quite useful and can usually clean up with decent coverage.
Back to top Go down
Nexus
Title: Admin
Nexus

Storm Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Earth Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 12:11 pm

Nice set fake! My Favourite Lure is probably Expert Belt or Yache berry Tornadus. I run Hammer arm+Hurricane+Hp grass+U-turn. Oppenents usually think I'm scarfed and switch in their Tyranitar/Feroothorn on the hurricane. Then i Hit Hammer arm and Tyranitar/Ferrothorn goes down in most cases. Hp grass is for Rotom-w Who also like to switch in on Tornadus and Hurricane+Hp grass Ko'es Most Rotom-w''s. The main aim of the set is to kill Tyranitar/Ferrothorn for My subCM latios to sweep, Unless opponent has a blissey he/she is in trouble. This set has served me well on my team
Back to top Go down
123Fakestreet
123Fakestreet

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 3:37 pm

Nexus wrote:
Nice set fake! My Favourite Lure is probably Expert Belt or Yache berry Tornadus. I run Hammer arm+Hurricane+Hp grass+U-turn. Oppenents usually think I'm scarfed and switch in their Tyranitar/Feroothorn on the hurricane. Then i Hit Hammer arm and Tyranitar/Ferrothorn goes down in most cases. Hp grass is for Rotom-w Who also like to switch in on Tornadus and Hurricane+Hp grass Ko'es Most Rotom-w''s. The main aim of the set is to kill Tyranitar/Ferrothorn for My subCM latios to sweep, Unless opponent has a blissey he/she is in trouble. This set has served me well on my team

That's a real nice idea mate. I will probably have to test it out soon. I have been tinkering with a sub mix set which could probably do even more damage if played right. Something like this...

Tornadus @ Expert Belt
Trait: Prankster
EVs: Undecided so far
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Uturn
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Hammer Arm

With substitute you can predict the ttar switch and possibly bait him to stay in assuming you are harmless. Letting you get off a high powered hammer arm and killing them off. Then possibly continue sweeping or doing damage although hurricane will have shaky accuracy. HP Grass / uturn for getting outa there or killing rotom switch ins.

I don't really know how that would work out. On paper it seems pretty cool.

Back to top Go down
ZodiaK
ZodiaK

Remove Badge Marsh Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Earth Badge Remove Badge Cascade Badge Rainbow Badge

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 6:48 pm

Hey Fake, that Tornadus set idea reminds me of another set I've ran and also seen ran that tends to work on rain teams. Same idea.

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Thunder | Surf
- Brick Break | Earthquake

The EV's can be changed to cater your proper needs. The selling point here is when you use this Rain Dnite on a Rain team and you reveal Hurricane and possibly Thunder, Sand Teams will often try to bring in Tyranitars to wall him. You can proceed by Brick Breaking it. Earthquake gets a notable mention as it hits TTar, Heatran, Jirachi, Electric types that would resist Hurricane. Only Steel/electric resist STAB Hurricane and Water or Electric hit Steel types neutrally otherwise Ground hits Electric types which aren't immune. Although revealing Surf may not be an incentive for Tyranitar to switch into him but Surf could hit Hippowdown's pretty well.

*If you wish to lose Multiscale, you can access Dnites older gen moves like Superpower or other cool tools like Heal Bell
Back to top Go down
https://xclusive.4umer.com
123Fakestreet
123Fakestreet

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 7:18 pm

ZodiaK wrote:
Hey Fake, that Tornadus set idea reminds me of another set I've ran and also seen ran that tends to work on rain teams. Same idea.

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Thunder | Surf
- Brick Break | Earthquake

The EV's can be changed to cater your proper needs. The selling point here is when you use this Rain Dnite on a Rain team and you reveal Hurricane and possibly Thunder, Sand Teams will often try to bring in Tyranitars to wall him. You can proceed by Brick Breaking it. Earthquake gets a notable mention as it hits TTar, Heatran, Jirachi, Electric types that would resist Hurricane. Only Steel/electric resist STAB Hurricane and Water or Electric hit Steel types neutrally otherwise Ground hits Electric types which aren't immune. Although revealing Surf may not be an incentive for Tyranitar to switch into him but Surf could hit Hippowdown's pretty well.

*If you wish to lose Multiscale, you can access Dnites older gen moves like Superpower or other cool tools like Heal Bell

Thats a real nice set. Definitely works better than Tornadus. We seem to be so antisand right now. Anyone got any lures for politoed and ninetales?
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Title: Level 61 Venusaur
Title: Level 61 Venusaur
Darklight

Storm Badge Marsh Badge Zephyr Badge Mineral Badge Earth Badge Volcano Badge Cascade Badge Rainbow Badge

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2012, 3:19 am

123Fakestreet wrote:
Nexus wrote:

That's a real nice idea mate. I will probably have to test it out soon. I have been tinkering with a sub mix set which could probably do even more damage if played right. Something like this...

Tornadus @ Expert Belt
Trait: Prankster
EVs: Undecided so far
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Uturn
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Hammer Arm

With substitute you can predict the ttar switch and possibly bait him to stay in assuming you are harmless. Letting you get off a high powered hammer arm and killing them off. Then possibly continue sweeping or doing damage although hurricane will have shaky accuracy. HP Grass / uturn for getting outa there or killing rotom switch ins.

I don't really know how that would work out. On paper it seems pretty cool.

Umm, Tornadus gets Grass Knot, why are you going for HP Grass?
Back to top Go down
ZodiaK
ZodiaK

Remove Badge Marsh Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Earth Badge Remove Badge Cascade Badge Rainbow Badge

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2012, 4:10 am

hits light waters harder then Grass knot on like Rotomw and maybe gastro but imo gnot is better.
Back to top Go down
https://xclusive.4umer.com
Nexus
Nexus

Storm Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Earth Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2012, 9:19 am

Grass knot? :/ It does like 20% on Rotom-W. Well around that and also does laughable damage to many Common water types.

Fake, on the Tornadus set, It is definitely a good option as a supporter which opens hole for other sweepers but not as a sweeper itself. But on your set I don't see the Need for Expert Belt. Leftovers can serve you much much better. Try it.

And Zodiak your rain Nite is Good although Superpower>Brick break as you mentioned
Back to top Go down
ZoroDarX
Title: Level 21 Charmeleon
Title: Level 21 Charmeleon
ZoroDarX

Storm Badge Marsh Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Remove Badge Cascade Badge Remove Badge

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitimeJune 24th 2012, 5:45 pm

I used Rain Nite on an old team and it worked like a charm! My set had Extremespeed over Roost though, which was handy in some cases...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favourite lure   Your favourite lure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favourite lure
Page 1 of 1